Dr. John McDougall Diet:
More than 33 Years of Restoring People’s HealthI have been practicing medicine for over 33 years and I have treated virtually every type of chronic illness common to the developed world. In my efforts to help people restore their health, I have tried almost every type of test and medical treatment available. But in all my years I have seen only one form of treatment work consistently and, quite often, even miraculously.
This approach has been effective even when all other medical therapies have failed. Patients whose doctors have given up on them – who are told there are no more drugs or operations that might save them – have restored their health using this singular approach.
The McDougall Program Basics
- A diet of plant foods, including whole grains and whole-grain products (such as pasta, tortillas, and whole-grain bread), and a wide assortment of vegetables and fruit.
- Plenty of spices and usually small amounts of sugar and salt to enhance the flavor of food.
- Exercise as simple as a daily walk.
- The exclusion of animal foods, including red meat, poultry, dairy products, eggs, and fish – all of which provide toxic levels of fat, cholesterol, protein and, very often, infectious agents and harmful chemicals.
- The exclusion of all oils including olive oil, safflower oil, and corn oil. Oils are nothing more than liquid fats that increase obesity, which in turn, depresses immune function and contributes to the most common chronic diseases.
Foods Not Allowed
The following is a list of the foods that are not allowed on the McDougall Program, with ideas for possible substitutions.
Don’t Eat:Possible substitutes:
Cow’s Milk (for cereal or cooking)
Lowfat soy milk, rice milk, fruit juice, water, use extra when cooking hot cereal or pour over cold cereal
Cow’s Milk (as beverage)
None; drink water, juice, herb tea, or cereal beverages
None; after 12 days you may substitute soy- and nut-based cheeses
None; after 12 days you may substitute crumbled tofu
Pure fruit sorbet, frozen juice bars; after 12 days you may substitute Lite Tofutti
Eggs (in cooking)
Ener-G Egg Replacer
Eggs (for eating)
Meat, poultry, fish
Starchy vegetables, whole grains, pastas, and beans; after 12 days you may substitute tofu “meat” recipes
Vegetable oils (for pans)
None; use Teflon, Silverstone, or silicone-coated (Baker’s Secret) pots and pans
Vegetable oils (in recipes)
None; omit oil or replace with water, mashed banana, or applesauce for moisture
White rice (refined)
Whole grain (brown) rice or other whole grains
White flour (refined)
Whole grain flours
Refined and sugar-coated cereals
Any acceptable hot or cold cereal
Coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and black teas
Non-caffeinated herb tea, cereal beverages, hot water with lemon
Colas and un-colas
Mineral water or seltzer (flavored or plain)
You can check out Dr. John McDougall's website here: